Monday, April 14, 2008

Library Love?

So, I have this love/hate relationship with the new home of our local library. As a grad student desperately trying to finish writing my master's thesis (especially as one with two small children at home), I love the library. Its wide open spaces, the serenity I feel when I set up "shop" at a table in a corner on the second floor, the huge windows out of which I gaze upon some of the town's beautiful older buildings. I can focus, get work accomplished, all the while accompanied by the muted sounds emanating from the library's other patrons. The airy space is accentuated by the building's "green" elements--bamboo walls and floors (in select locations) and natural light, among others--and it is beautifully designed. As an adult, I love this library.

As a parent, however, I could not detest it more. Today was the most recent in a long list of times I have visited this, my, beautiful new library by myself with my two small children. Two small children under the age of two. While, as a student, I love the library, many of those same features that I adore foster loathing when I visit as a parent. The open space means many hiding spots for an active almost-two year old boy. There is no mom time when I'm at this library, not chance to chat with other adults who happen to be there with (or without) children. I can't sit down because assuredly as soon as I do, I will need to jump up in order to ascertain where my rambunctious child has gone. (It does not help that said child's father thinks it's fun to play "hiding" or "chase" in the library with said child--of course, he rarely takes both children to the library, and if he does, it is to bring the wee lass so she and I can nurse when I'm writing.)

Going to this library is perhaps the most tiring outing we undertake. Ever. After wrangling the boy, nursing (of course, I don't think we go anywhere without nursing at least once there) the girl, talking about sharing and curtail the number of non-sharing altercations, and chasing my ever-active almost-two year old in and out of all corners of the place, I am worn out. I don't think I feel more tired after an intense workout class at the gym than I do after a morning at the "peaceful" library.

And to think, it all could have been avoided if those architects who designed the multi-million dollar space had had the ingenuity to corral off the children's section. Like the other library in town, which coincidentally, is one of my favorite places to take my kids...but not my thesis.

3 comments:

VeganLinda said...

Could not agree more! I'm not doing my thesis, but the rest. :-)

Loretta said...

I kinda knew you probably agreed with me. :) I haven't heard good things from any other moms about the new library. You'd think they would have had at least ONE parent on the design committee who would have thought of the way the design would affect parents of small children. I mean, we don't live in a society where people think children should be seen and not heard or patiently waiting by their parents' sides--at least most people don't think that.

Jenna Z said...

Hey Loretta! It's Jenna! I agree with you as well. Everytime I go, I have a terrible experience there. The self-check-out is simply not functional yet. I HATE the new library's magazine shelving (it's designed to only hold like 4 issues of each magazine and it's terribly cheap feeling, the doors get stuck all the time). And those of us without children definitely agree that the children's department should be walled off! :)